Here is my shortlist of places to visit in Europe after spending hours on the internet and visiting these places! While all these places make a great visit, I decided to highlight with an underline the places I really liked and recommend not to miss….this way the reader is not left in a dilemma or worry of having missed a better spot.
I generally search/book my itinerary on the following links. Just click them:
Stay – booking.com. Never had a bad experience. Go for hotels rated 7+
Flight – ryanair, skyscanner mobile app or cheaptickets (suggests nearby airports)
International Trains – Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, UK
Cars: autoeurope: site in Dutch, good cancellation policy, tells car company; cheapcars: site in English; cancellation within 7 days of booking
(Note: “Goldcar rental” operating in Spain and Portugal has very bad feedback)
Booking your travel about 4 weeks in advance gives the best deals.
- Belgium: Drive thru a village in the hilly Ardenes region of Belgum. Early May will have scores of fields filled with Yellow flowers and is really lovely.
- Dinant – a unique city with citadel, stalmite cave and possiblity of kayaking and other mild adventure sports.
- Gardens of Château d’Annevoie, Anseremme
- Ghent – an old city with a beautiful castle and other old buildings. Take the walking tour (takes about 2 hours)
- Brugge – called venice of the North. A small city with a lot of canals.
- Antwerpen – a very nice old city with multiple old architecture buildings converted to modern luxuries like railway station and shopping malls. Also a superb Indian veg food at “Aahar”.
- France, Paris – Needs no elaboration. Hotel Galileo though not cheap, is really good.
- Germany, Munich – a very nice all in 1 city. The Residenze palace is really grand and displays the richness of the past. Olympic complex and city tour are the other attractions. The famous Newschwenstein castle that looks like a Disney castle from the outside and is luxurious inside is about an hours drive.
- Cologne – the church is really huge and you can climb to the top. It is also know for Christmas market with festive atmosphere along with shopping. You can do really good price shopping.
- Driving in Black forest, Germany – nice to visit to see fall colors…..drive from Baden-Baden to Freudenstadt for curvy scenic route; visit Dorotheenhütte Wolfach for the glass museum and Triberg for the cuckoo clock.
- Luxembourg, the city walk is nice and takes you thru a lot of history. The viewing of the gardens from the top is memorable
- Drive from Kitzbhuel, Austria to Cortina D’ampetso, Italy
- Driving in Hohe Tauren national park, Krimml waterfall stage 1, Austria.
- Salzburg, Austria – salt mine, ice cave
- Vienna, Austria
- Interlakken, Grindelwald, Engelburg, Switzerland
- Furka pass, Grimsel pass and Susten pass (good for a day trip; open in summer), Switzerland
- Zermatt, Switzerland
- Aletsch Glacier, Switzerland (ropeway from Fiesch to Eggishorn; there are also scenic, medium difficulty trek routes)
- Vezasca Valley, Switzerland (crystal clear river and an ancient bridge at Lavertezzo, dam where bungy jumping is possible at Vogorro, waterfall at Sonogno)
- Rome, Italy
- Pisa, Italy
- Cortina D’Ampetso, Italy – The dolomite mountains
- Pompei, Italy – the ruins.
- Amalfi coast drive, Italy
- Mount Vesuvius, Italy
- Paestum. Italy – the Greek temple ruins
- Lanzarote and Fuerteventura islands, Spain. (MUST SEE; Ryanair from NRN is generally cheap & convenient)
- Stavenger/Roldal, Norway – Lysefjord is famous if you can trek
- Myrdal-Flam train ride, Norway
- Gudvangenfjord, Norway
- Aurlandvegen to Laerdalsoyri via Fv243 (open only in certain months) Norway…..the best route of Norway
- Geirangerfjord, Crazy route – the best fjord of the lot.
- London (of course)
- Drive from Windermere to Keswick via Bridgend, stone circle at Keswick, UK
- Roman Bath, UK (if you have been to Rome, you may skip this place)
- Paklenica National Park, near Zadar, Croatia
- Plitvice Lakes, Croatia
- Drive from Plitvice Lakes to Zadar, Croatia (Pity is that there are no stop points on the highway to view the scenery)
- Kornati National Park, Croatia
- Athens, Greece
- Mykonos Island, Greece
- Barcelona, Spain: Sagrada Familia, Casa Mila, Placa Catalunya (walk along La Rambla shopping street), Placa Espanya, Magic (lighted water) fountain, Poble Espanya, walk along Port Vell, Aquarium, Montserrat (day trip), Zoo.
Pages: 1 2